I have to give all the props to Tim on this one. He got the idea, went out and found pallets, and was tearing them apart in the garage before I even knew what was happening. That's how he operates. Once his mind is set on something, it's full steam ahead, as soon as possible. There is no hesitation or delaying. Which is great most of the time! (It only drives me crazy sometimes. :))
So here it is! The pallet wall!
We did this in the water closet of our master bathroom (which is a fancy way to say the toilet room). These rooms are often overlooked. I get it - the only thing in there is the toilet, so why really bother?
But now I'm obsessed with it!! It turned out better than I ever expected.
Here's what we started with. Like I said, pretty boring water closet...
This old light fixture is still there until I can find the right one at the right cost (I'm thinking something like this). But I was too excited to share the results to wait!
Then he washed them with sponges, dried them overnight, and separated them into piles of ones that were the same width.
We had the wood piles, a saw, and a nail gun in the bathroom and we were ready to go.
Here's a quick step-by-step of what we did:
1. Pick the wood you want to use for your current row. (Can start from either side.)
2. Nail up the first piece.
3. Measure the remainder of the wall for that row.
4. Cut a piece of similar-width wood with the saw.
5. Nail that piece to the wall.
6. Continue for each row, using a variety of colors/widths as you go to get that random look.
I also switched up the lengths of the pieces in each row so that the split placements were varied. Similar to the look of a tile backsplash.
Once you get started, it's a pretty smooth quick process. The only challenge we ran into is that many of the boards were not perfectly straight. So sometimes that affected the row below it which caused some gaps. But with careful piece selection/placement, and the dark color behind it, you really can't tell when looking at the finished product. So don't let small gaps stress you out too much!
Per usual, I suggest a Rottie assistant. Always very helpful.
Voila! The finished product! Tim installed a brand new toilet and I picked up a fun wreath to add a little something to the space. Once we get the new light fixture hung, it'll be perfect!
This project was so cheap! The wood was free so all we paid for was the paint, toilet ($100 - Lowes), and wreath ($20 - Michaels).
And so that you can pick something up at Michaels for your next project, I'm giving away a $25 gift card! Just because this project was so fun and I want to spread the love.... Enter below!